Thursday, January 28, 2010

nothing to do with working out

Ive mentioned that a couple buddies and I are writing a TV show. Some people have asked me about it. instead of tweeting 10 tweets, I thought id just write it here...

so a few months ago, I went with my agent to LA.

It was to talk about a few TV projects to a few people that should have been too busy to let me into their office. But since my agent is also a tv producer himself, he was able to pull some strings and get me a couple of meetings

some were with cable execs
a couple were with producers
a couple were with specific talent reps


after many meetings. and quite a few idea pitches (from me)... I retired back to my hotel room. and eventually left CA. I got a couple calls in the next week about little hosting jobs. most of them shot during the work week, and arent doable in my current situation.

however, at one of the meetings, we had a long discussion about a scripted (with actors) comedy show I wanted to work on and write. I didnt hear anything about it (or any of the other ideas) for a while, so I gave up. The producer from that meeting called my agent, and we conferenced a couple times. he wanted me to write a pilot for the show.

So I called the 2 best comedy writers I know, and we have been working on it the last few weeks. We have 2 weeks before its due. And we are getting close to first final draft now. we may even have time to do a table reading to see if its as funny as we think it is

One thing I heard OVER and OVER in these meetings was "if you want a role on a show, write THAT role and THAT show" . So thats what we are doing. apparently there are zillions of pretty actors and actresses trying to get roles. and only thousands of writers who can write and perform. hah. those are better odds!

obviously odds are slim that anything happens with it. but we are willing to put in the work and give it a shot. and we actually have someone with some pull that will for sure read it. good or bad.

worst case scenario: I learned how hard it was to write a show. i fail at this attempt. and try again
best case scenario: we write a show. im a big actor. and Im living in a house made of gold

8 comments:

  1. Wish you the best, I'm sure you will do great, and if not, you can always live in a house made of Copper, not as good but still SHINY!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds great, Bobby! Hard work and perserverance pays off! Go, Bobby, go!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck! Gold shmold - glass houses keep you honest......

    ReplyDelete
  4. if you're living in a gold house does that mean the bobby bones show is canceled? because that would kind of suck...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aww Bobby! I wish you the best of luck!!! You've worked so hard for everything else, so I know that this will be amazing. Those producers are crazy if they don't take your show!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Bobby,

    First off, I would like to say that I love your show and listen to you guys every day during my commute. I wanted to post because your workout goal and your recent illness reminded me of an article I read a few months ago. Studies show that moderate exercise boosts one's immune system, but intense exercise tends to suppress it, making one more susceptible to illness and a longer recovery. An interesting thought for you. The link is below.

    http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/10/14/phys-ed-does-exercise-boost-immunity/?scp=1&sq=exercise%20immune&st=cse

    ReplyDelete
  7. good luck! i think it's only a matter of time before you make it big and outgrow our little town. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. If you need a chick actress, I'm down. I can't say I'm funny, because funny people don't walk around saying they're funny.

    ReplyDelete